Sunday, December 28, 2008

Battle of the Gift Card

2 weeks ago, Doctor Doctor, Destructo and I made a short impromptu three day visit to our home town in California. Yes, that is correct, we flew a combined 10 hours for 55 hours of face time. You have to understand, we come from a small town that will suck you in ever chance it gets, not to mention our family is crazy (especially our extended family). 55 hours is more than enough time to say hello, hug and be extremely offended (trust me)they've done it in less.I digress. Anywho, no one knew we were coming until we arrived at the airport. Due to a 2 hour lay over in New Orleans (who closes all of their kiosk's at 6 pm , by the way) we had to call Daddy to pick us up for fear enterprise car rental was already closed.

The next day we went to visit our Grandmothers. Our mothers mother is in Rehab (she had a stroke) and thus the reason we made the trip. At the Rehab I ran into my Aunt Faith who in a matter of an hour was able to eat all of my food, scare Destructo so bad he rang his hands and insinuate she was coming to visit us in D.C. next summer (negativo).As soon as we arrive at my other Grandmother's house it was just as bad.My Aunt busy-body and Aunt mooch were both there. Aunt mooch is 40 and still lives at home.She also only pays 200 dollars in rent and refuses to help my grandmother get to and from dialysis. I spent the next 4 hours trying to pry my crying baby out of Aunt mooch's hands. I promise her kisses are toxic. Aunt busy-body on the other hand,scrambled to create non-existent presents.

Look, I find myself to be one of the most gracious gift- receivers I know. I never turn down a gift because I find it to be rude and I find use for everything. I always act like it is just what I wanted and never make another peep about it. I find it to be extremely tacky when people openly bash their gifts to the person who gave it to them. Since this is my blog I will share with you my frustration over Aunt busy-body and her gifts. We've had a long sordid past with her and Christmas gifts. It's not that she gives everyone impersonal or horrible presents, my other cousins get great presents (because they are bigger) and we get the "Sorry I forgot about you and this is all they had left" presents. On a good year, we get Vicky-Secrets body wash and a hair comb set from Wal-mart. On a bad year, well lets revisit the ghost I call X-mas closet past. Keep in mind, this all took place after 1999.

There was my sophomore year when I received shiny Kedz and my cousins all got the really awesome Nikes.




















My senior year, the cousins got awesome jackets and I got a Pepto Bismol pink sweater oh and I forgot to mention it was made of fur.



When I was 19 I received a gift certificate to Lane Bryant, only problem was I was a size 2 and the smallest size they sell is a size 14!

When I was 22, my cousins got awesome sweaters and I got (wait for it)



Bejeweled Mom jeans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Needless to say when she magically found JC Penney gift cards for us this year I was relieved and anxious ( I haven't stepped in one in years). My sister and I made a game of it and found some really awesome finds on clearance.

I found a similar velvet lined black blazer from St. Johns Bay for $12.99.




And this awesome top from Nicole by Nicole Miller for JC Penney for $15.99.



which will go great with my Joe's jeans and black riding boots

2 comments:

  1. OMG that is hilarious! Ok, so when you're 19 etc it probably wasn't but it is now. I'm glad that this year your aunt managed to atleast get you something you could use, if not for yourself then for Destructo.

    Your family sounds somewhat like mine. I love that you can be offended in 55 hours or less by your family. I may be able to beat that but I'm not totally sure. It's nice that you suprised them for the holiday though.

    My bad gift giver/serious offender of all around her is my sister. I think my hairdresser said it best a few months ago when I was there the day after my sister. First her assistant told me I was NOTHING like my sister. Then my hairdresser (who grew up next door to us) told me that my sister had managed to offend everybody within earshot within the first 10 minutes of her arrival. Yeah......

    Her goal is to always make sure she has a gift for me and each of my kids even when we agree that we're not buying for each other or each other's kids. It drives me crazy.

    This year she told me that she bought something for me because I am her "Only Sister, and nobody is going to tell me I can't". She then went on to tell me what she got each of her 5 kids, her gazillion grandkids and our mom, step mom and step dad. She didn't tell me she also bought for my kids and grandson. Then she seriously tells me how much she hates Christmas because everybody expects so much gift wise and they just don't have the money. WHAT!?!?!?!?! Then WHY do you buy for EVERYBODY when you agree not to do so?? Geez

    I had pulled some bottles of purfume out of my cabinet the week before with the intention of giving them to her as they are her favorite purfume. I grabbed them and put them in the car so I wouldn't forget them. Then I remembered a book I was reading and had knew I had to give it to her. The Purpose of Christmas, awesome read. I immediatly thought of her and wrote in the cover that I hoped she would find the reason and the joy of Christmas again.

    Fast forward to mom's house three hours later. Gifts for everybody, and none to give in return. No thank you or even acknowledgment for the purfume or the book and the gift she gave each of us was a cheezie walmart hot chocolate/smores kit with a $40 gift card to a bbq place here in town. WHY does she do this? Too much money on the giftcard and the other is trash.

    Very frustrating is all I can say.

    I hope you had a great time with your family and It sounds like you found some great stuff at JC Pennys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! Those are some...CRAZY gifts to give. Wow. You definitely are able to handle yourself better than me! :)

    ReplyDelete